Tuesday, November 03, 2015

The anatomy of the sissified Jesuit mind

Dorothy Cummings McLean, "Two Year Among the Liberal Theologians" (Catholic World Report, October 31, 2015):
... "Own your heresy" tweeted Douthat, and Father James Martin, SJ seemed to throw up his hands in holy horror. Oh, how irresponsible! Oh, how potentially damaging to a career! Oh, how the CDF will swoop down like a wolf upon the fold. Except it won't, and it almost never does—and they're too busy packing up Monsignor Charamsa's office right now anyway.

The brain-blowing combination of asserting that what is not Catholic teaching is somehow Catholic teaching and then shrieking like a frightened schoolgirl when the word "heresy" is uttered is what the American Catholic/Jesuit theological academy is all about, and I should know. I was in it for two of the most miserable years of my life....

2 comments:

Mick Jagger Gathers No Mosque said...

https://youtu.be/4DsthMK93Vs?list=FLL8SdcR82EELL0gPzm0eKDA

Anonymous said...

America Magazine typifies the religious mindset of the liberal zeitgeist that has hijacked the postconciliar Church. Back in 2008 the mag took aim at 'Evangelical Catholics'...

http://americamagazine.org/issue/469/article/do-we-need-newer-apologetics

And here is the mindset expressed most perfectly in the convex...

"I appreciated the assessmentof R.Gaillardetz's article on the new apologists. I encountered a few at my parish's recent Apologetics classes, and what a disappointment! While apparently well-meaning and positive, their narrow, righteous certitude approach flew in the face of my theological background. I'm sure that my age and Jesuit training has a lot to do with my reaction (I graduated from a Jesuit university in 1969 and have kept up with developing Catholic studies). I am a practicing Catholic, but a thinking one who did not stop her religious education after Catholic high school. I admit that I have been strongly informed by the documents and spirit of Vatican II through my on-going education over the years. Perhaps that is one reason why I can't stomach the closed-mindedness of the narrow apologists I encountered in my parish Apologetics course.

Heaven, Hell, Truth, Sin, Right, Wrong ... the closed-mindedness of the narrow Catholics. Please just let us have the love and acceptance of Jesus, Francis, and Sister Joan. And the highbrow affirmation of the Academy. St. Paul was a curmudgeon, and those preconciliar popes, well, the burned Galileo! And Marian devotees are rubes. Begone haters, homophobes, Kim Davis and FOXNews. Bring on 'Dignity.' That is what you get with "on-going education over the years."