Sunday, July 08, 2012

"My life flows on": a birthday compilation

My sister's husband and daughter celebrated their birthdays today, and some friends and extended family members put together this compilation of the hymn, "My Life Flows On," also known as "How Can I Keep From Singing?" popularized in 1991 by Enya's rendition.


Among the things for which I am grateful for the tradition in which I was raised is how children were brought up, as a matter of course, to learn singing in harmony. At the drop of a hat, any one could break forth in song that was recognizably singing -- something I have missed among Catholics with rare but notable exceptions over the last twenty years. Part of what is being lost these days, at least for men, is the understanding that singing can be a manly thing, in THIS, or for that matter THIS.

[Hat tip to R.B.]

No comments: